I’m almost done with the #aweekofturias challenge!
It’s my final week of the #aweekofturias challenge to raise money for the #teamirfon cancer charity appeal on justgiving.com. Please sponsor me here.
I’ve now made six pairs of the Turia dungaree pattern by Pauline Alice and last week I made a discovery – by reducing the size of the digital pattern printouts, I could also make dungarees for my young daughters!
I enjoyed some unselfish sewing and my daughters were also pleased to get some new clothes. They literally ripped the finished dungarees out of my hands, they couldn’t wait to wear them! A rare happening!
Resizing the digital pattern by reducing the print out size isn’t a perfect science as the proportions of a women’s body and a child’s body are different. However by calculating what proportion of the length of my torso my daughter’s torsos are and printing the patterns that size, the dungarees worked out fine. The fit’s good on both children. The gentle curvature of the hips of the Turia pattern isn’t that noticeable on my children and besides, in this relaxed style of pants, a little extra room in the body is welcomed by active kids.
For my almost-seven-year old daughter, I printed the pattern at 75% and cutting out size 38.
I used Liberty Art Fabrics baby cord for both pairs of dungarees. It was very easy to work with and the fabric’s so soft, it’s perfect to make comfortable clothing for children. The busy fabric pattern is also handy for disguising sewing mishaps such as not-as-neat-as-they-should-be topstitched seams and spills etc. when children are wearing it!
It was my younger daughter’s fourth birthday last week so we all wore our Turias for her party – that’s her in the above photo waiting for her party guests to arrive.
One of the main features of the Turia dungaree pattern, is the flat-felled seams and lots of topstitching. I used the same light grey topstitching thread on both of these dungarees. I chose not to use contrasting topstitching thread on my last denim pair of Turias, because I didn’t want to distract from the exposed denim selvedges.
For my four year old’s dungarees, I printed the pattern out at 67% and cut out size 40. I reduced the seam allowances to about one centimetre instead of following the one and half centimetre seam allowance in the pattern, in accordance with the pattern resizing.
This final week of the #aweekofturias challenge, I’m making the pair of dungarees that I’ll be auctioning, so stay tuned.
Here’s a sneak peek of the fabric.
These’ll be my most challenging-to-make pair yet in but I’m hoping they’ll be unique and worthy of your bid!
Please go to justgiving.com, #teamirfon and sponsor me if you haven’t already done so. I’d also like to thank the people who have sponsored me, I know Irfon will be happy!
To stay updated for this blog, sign up for the YoSaMi newsletter (at the top of the sidebar) – it’s free.
As always, enjoy your week and happy sewing,